Do texting, social media or video games seem to be the only thing your children and teens want to do these days? Are you worried about the negative effects of all that screen time on your children’s physical and mental health, learning and relationships – maybe especially their relationships with you? It might be wise to begin by reflecting on your own use of your phone and other devices as you consider how to help your children achieve a healthy level of use.
Marti shared on KARE 11 News 5 good questions to ask yourself as you consider how to help your children keep screen time in proper balance with other activities:
1) Do I set specific times for checking email, texts or social media when I am at home or am I always “on call,” jumping to reply whenever I hear the electronic beep?
2) Do I balance device use with other healthy activities?
3) Have I designated certain family activities as device-free times?
4) Do I set and enforce time limits on screen sessions for my children and myself?
5) Do I tell my children, in language they can understand, why I am taking charge of my own device use rather than letting my devices take charge of me?
To view the video of this KARE 11 News at 11 segment, play the video box above.
To read our Managing Your Children’s Screen Time tip sheet, click here.